A Christmas Prayer

Several years ago, I wrote a Christmas prayer to help keep my heart where it needs to be. Each December I put it somewhere in my home where I’ll see it often – to remind me of what matters most. And each year, I share it here with you, my blog readers, in case you’d like to pray it, too.

The Manger of My Heart
This Christmas, Lord, come to the manger of my heart.
Fill me with your presence from the very start.
As I prepare for the holidays and gifts to be given,
Remind me of the gift You gave when you sent Your Son from Heaven.

The first Christmas gift -the greatest gift ever,
You came as a baby born in a manger.
Wrapped like the gifts I find under my tree,
Waiting to be opened, to reveal Your love to me.
Restore to me the wonder that came with Jesus’ birth,
when He left the riches of Heaven and wrapped Himself in rags of earth.
Immanuel, God with us, Your presence came that night.
And angels announced, “Into your darkness, God brings His Light.”

“Do not be afraid,” they said, to shepherds in the field.
Speak to my heart today, Lord, and help me to yield.
Make me like those shepherd boys, obedient to your call.
Setting distractions and worries aside, to You I surrender them all.

Surround me with Your presence, Lord, I long to hear your voice.
Clear my mind of concerns and all the holiday noise.
Slow me down this Christmas, let me not be in a rush.
In the midst of parties and planning, I want to feel Your hush.

This Christmas, Jesus, come to the manger of my heart.
Invade my soul like Bethlehem, bringing peace to every part.
Dwell within and around me, as I unwrap Your presence each day.
Keep me close to You, Lord. It’s in your wonderful Name I pray.

© 2012, Renee Swope

www.ReneeSwope.com

*******

Christmas Prayer PDFs (simply click on the words/links below):

Comments

1. God has definately blessed you with the written word. So utterly beautiful.

• Arieanna Mainhart says:

May I please receive the instructions to download a copy of the prayer: The Manager of My Heart

Thank you and many Blessings to you and yours!

• I just printed this prayer on the computer and if you scroll down far enough you will see the size that it will print. 4 x 6, 5 x 7 or 8 x 10. I just went into the file link and indicated what size I wanted. I hope it works for you. Ginny

2. This is absolutely beautiful! I love this! Like Danielle mentioned before me, you have been given such an amazing gift!

3. This is beautiful. Thank you! As stated above you have such an amazing gift of putting words together.

4. BEAUTIFUL RENEE!!!! How can I download this prayer, I’d like to frame it and give in my baskets 🙂

Thank you for sharing your wonderful gift with us.

Blessing!

5. BEAUTIFUL, I would love to download this prayer as a reminder. You are blessed with a wonderful gift, thanks for sharing.

Blessings to you and yours. Merry Christmas.

6. That is a very beautiful poem! I am already a subscriber, but would love to be able to download the copy of your poem.
    Thanks,
    Merry CHRISTmas!

Thank you, thank you! My soul has been in such turmoil here of last, and I was praying just this morning telling God about all the distractions that are going on within. And as always, just like Jesus, he gives me what I need. And today, he used YOU to speak calmness into my soul. I praise God for your love and obedient heart:) This is such a precious gift…

Blessings to you, my friend! And Merry Christmas to you and yours.

8. God’s timing is ever perfect. I just got off the phone with a friend sharing with her my struggles and asking her to pray for me. I checked my fb and yours was the first post in my news feed. I so needed that. Thank you, Lord, for your perfectness in all things…and thank you, Renee for your precious words!

9. What a beautiful prayer!

10. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely, thoughtful Prayer! It is really beautiful 🙂

11. I love your prayer! I already subscribe to your email updates so how can I find a PDF copy of prayer? I love the idea of a Christmas Prayer! <3 <3

12. Love it Renae!! I will definitely frame that prayer.. its beautiful!! Thank you!

13. Mary Ann Herring says:

Thanks for the prayer . This would make a great gift printed on special paper. Merry CHRISTmas. <

14. Would love a printable copy of this prayer please. God Bless.

15. I would love to send a copy of your prayer to family and friends at church. I love thoughts and prayers, and poems …thank you for being a blessing. Catherine Marshall (wife of Peter Marshall) wrote a book years ago on her thoughts and prayers that I just love to read. Helen Steiner Rice is a great writer also.
    Wish we could all sit down and just share the joys of Christmas over Hot Coca.

16. Jennifer Matthews says:

I love this prayer. I signed up to get a link so i could print it. I received the link, but it isnt working on my computer. Any suggestions?

• Did you double click on the word of the download to get it to open? I believe you also have to have Adobe to open PDFs but you can download it free. Could that be the problem? If so, I can see if I can send it to you in MS Word, too.

• Did you double click on the words of the link download to get it to open? I believe you also have to have Adobe to open PDFs but you can download it free. Could that be the problem? If so, I can see if I can send it to you in MS Word, too.

• Jennifer Matthews says:

Hi Renee, Im nor sure what is wrong. I downloaded adobe and it still isnt working. When I click on the link, another tab opens as if its goin to work but then it says blank or error. Would you please try to send it to me again in MS Word. Thank you.

17. Renee thank you so much for sharing this. I am having difficulty try to pull up the 4×6 link. Could you please email it to me? Thank you again for all that share with us!

• Hi Erin, can you tell me what is happening so we can see how we might fix it? Also, do you have Adobe? I believe you have to have it to open PDFs but you can download it free.

18. Renee: I love this! I did get the email, but cannot seem to get the printable link to work. I tried the 4×6 and the 5×7. Thanks!!

• So sorry Heather. Did you double click on the words of the link download to get it to open? I also sent it to myself, and it worked when I did that. Do you have ADOBE?

19. Renee, I pray that God continue to use you mightly to encourage others. God Bless you and your family always. Keep those prayers coming, they are surely a blessing.

Mary

20. Thank you so much, Renee, for doing this. I am printing a bunch out and buying nice picture frames and giving them as gifts with your book!

Merry Christmas to everyone!

• Aww, I love that idea Kathy!! Thank you for giving my book as a gift too. That blesses me so much to know you are doing that!!

21. Thank you for your Christmas Prayer. I would love a printable copy. God Bless. Merry Christmas!

22. On Nov 14, 2011 my husband came home and announced that he no longer wanted to be married and wanted a divorce. I had no idea this was coming. Since that time he has come around now and then and last Thursday I asked him if he was ever planning on coming home. He said he was but didn’t say when. It is now Tuesday and I have not heard one word from him. My husband believes but does not have a relationship with the Lord. I have been praying that God would restore our marriage but I am on this crazy emotional roller coaster and see no sign of an answer. I am so tired, worn down and numb. I am trying very hard to just keep my eyes on the Lord but there are times I just wish my husband were there. PLEASE pray, So confused and hurt ;-(

• Im so very sorry Debbie. I cannot imagine the pain and confusion you are feeling. I know you must feel so alone but I want you to know YOU ARE NOT. God’s word says that HE is near to the brokenhearted. Your husband is obviously not seeking Jesus and loving you the way God wants him to love you as his wife,.No matter what, what your heart needs to know and remember is that Jesus loves you with all His heart and He is the refuge you need to find peace in this storm. I”m praying you will seek Him with all your heart and soak your mind in the truth and promises of the unconditional, never-failing love God has for you.

23. Thank you for that Christmas prayer. I just discovered your writing and website. I think you have a lot to say that can speak to my heart. Thanks so much for sharing.

24. Barbara Attaway says:

Love the prayer!!! I would very much like to be able to download it and share with my Sunday School class. Thank you so much for all the beautiful and inspirational messages. Proverbs31 speaks to my heart.

25. Mary Pohlman says:

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful story of Grace! I would love to have a copy of your poem!
    Merry “Christ” mas!

26. I would love a copy of your prayer. I think you were hiding behind the couch last night when I was talking to my husband about this very topic! God uses you and Prov. 31 ministries in amazing ways in my life! Thanks.

27. Jen Johnson says:

I would like the printable prayer. Thank you!

28. So I woke up early this morning. Like 2.5 hours early & I just wanted to roll over & go back to sleep, but I felt the Holy Spirit nudging me to get up & enjoy this EXTRA LONG quiet time with the Lord with hot coffee & devotions in a room lit only by the Christmas tree. I’m so glad I did. Your P31 devo was wonderful & the Christmas Prayer is beautiful. I can’t wait to frame it & use it every Christmas. My favorite part is that His presence is our present to unwrap & enjoy every single day of the year! God Bless you & Merry Christmas!

29. I can’t seem to find this in my prior e-mails. I know I posted for the giveaway, but would like a printable copy of the prayer. The season gets so crowded out and this will bring focus for sure.

30. I would love a copy of the printable prayer. Thank you so much!!

31. Heather Langford says:

I have decided to give this poem as a gift to my co-workers instead of something store bought. Thank you for sharing your poem with us. I pray that it would touch the hearts of many. Please send me a printable copy. Thanks.

32. That is a beautiful poem! I am already a subscriber, but would love to be able to download the copy of your poem.
    Thanks,

33. Thank you Renee, for the beautiful gift of the meaning of Christmas in your prayer. I would very much like to download it to have and share with family/friends, if you can send it to me, please.
    Sincerely,
    Kathy

34. It’s a beautifuL poem.I’m so blessed while reading.Thanks for sharing.How can i download the copy of this poem.Shalom! Blessings.

35. This is beautiful and as a visual person, I love the idea of having it posted to remind me often that our heart preparation is the most important preparation of all. Please send me the down load.
    Thank you and have a blessed Christmas!
    Becky

36. Thank you for allowing me to get a copy of your beautiful words reminding me to keep Jesus in the manger of my heart. I do plan to frame your poem, so I will be reminded to do just that this Christmas. Pray I will be still enough to hear that sweet hush of his Holy Spirit in my spirit. Pray I will not only show myself Grace, but also those who depend on me. My sweet grandmother who lives with me and has alzeheimer’s, my dear daughter and new baby who live with us, along with my sweet 16 yr old daughter and my sweet husband. God Bless you and your family. Merry Christmas.

37. I would love to receive a downloadable copy of The Christmas Prayer. Please let me know how. Thank you.

38. What a great reminder to hush and be still in the rush of this season.

39. Would love a copy of the Christmas pray, its beautiful.
    Dona M

40. Christine Smith says:

Your poem was exactly what I needed this morning! I would love to have a printable copy to share with others this Christmas. Thank you and God bless.

41. I thank God for leading me to your website. It is truly a blessing! i would love to have a download of The Christmas Prayer. Thank you.

42. Kellye Hall says:

Please send a link for a PDF download of the Christmas Prayer. Thank you!

43. Felicia Pate says:

Please send a link for a PDF download of the Christmas Prayer. Thank You!

44. Leticia Castillo says:

This has been a blessing to me. Every day as I take a moment to read your devotions shared with us, has helped me obtain strength and peace through my daily struggles. This past year has been tremendously difficult, but His presence in our lives is a gift we can open every day of the year, reminding us that through those struggles He is the peace that surpasses all understanding through those struggles. Thank you Lord.

45. Kimberly Reed says:

Truly inspired words. Thank you for sharing this beautiful prayer.

46. Renee this is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. Christmas the coming of Christ to die for me became so real as if it has not been. Thanks again.

47. This has been a difficult year and sometimes it has been a total struggle to go from day-to-day — much less have a confident heart.

I loved your concept of “the manger of my heart” — somehow that idea really spoke to me and makes things seem more manageable and possible. It is more instructive than other phrases that get thrown around this time of year like ” having the Christmas spirit”.

You are so right –Jesus was and is the perfect gift… are we ready to receive Him ??

Sue F.

48. Lynda Jones says:

This is a beautiful prayer and reminder about what Christmas is all about and why we are here – thank you. Grace is something I definitely need everyday! This will be the first Christmas for me and my children since my husband walked out on us. I can’t begin to describe what he put us through. Losing the marriage you fought so hard for, seeing the pain it has caused your children – and the waste of the incredible spiritual gifts God has given to my (ex) husband which he has turned his back on – it is heartbreaking. But I have no doubt that God is sovereign and works all things for good. I rely on His mercy, strength and grace everyday to not only survive – but to thrive – and to help my children do the same (we are all a work in progress everyday)! Thanks to all at P31 for the way you use God’s love to uplift women everyday. I feel called to do the same thing someday – just not sure how yet 🙂 Thanks again.

49. Shayla Hunter says:

Renee, that poem touched my heart in so many ways and was just perfect for me today of all days. I’m a new follower of your page on FB as well as your website. Being a single mother of 11 years I’ve struggled with fitting in at church and felt very much as if I was not good enough or accepted by other women due to being single and divorced.
    This morning I sent out a request for prayer as I decided to follow God’s plan for me to start a single mom’s ministry as well as support group for women and hopefully it will lead to girls and teens who have suffered from sexual abuse of any type.
    As I read your biography, your words about being paralyzed by fear for 10 years I literally dropped my jaw and gasped out loud. Those have been my exact words to my friends and family recently as to why I haven’t started this before. Just as pursuing my passion for paining vintage windows which I just started a few months ago…sharing them with others was one of the most frightening things I’ve ever done and I still struggle with the worry of rejection from them.
    Thank you so very much for all that you do and for being such an amazing gift in my life and so many others as you share God’s word and love.
    Sincerely.

50. May I please have the download instructions for your poem. It is beautiful. Thank You.

51. Thank you for this beautiful prayer. I am sharing it with my Bible study sisters. We are on chapter 6 og A Confident Heart. Our group is living the study and growing from it. Thank you!

52. Gayle Henrickson says:

53. I need this prayer everyday 🙂
    how do I receive the download?

54. I am a stay at home of 20-year old triplets..We desperately need one more car..we have 3 cars for 5 drivers..So, guess who usually is left at home..Yes, It is me…I hope to at least get a tree and get some shopping done. Hopefully, we will all go to my brother’s Christmas Day which has been a ritual since my Mom passed Christmas Dec. 16, 1993..
    I attempted 3 times to post a reply. Hopefully, you will get it.
    “God’s word is filled with promises..to give us Hope!”..Emmanuel–God with us!
    For young moms, Try to find a manger that has “Baby Jesus” separate..and take Him out until Christmas morning..I did this when my triplets were 2 or 3..I had to used the big manger that goes with outdoor Christmas displays of the nativity…I put it in front of our tree..I will never forget Sean’s joyful face when he picked up Baby Jesus Christmas morning..He was so excited!
    I also shared this on my wall. Hopefully, I will be in your drawing. Merry Christmas!!!!

55. I’d love to have a printable version of the Manger of my heart poem. Very powerful and just the words I needed today.
    God bless!

56. Kathy Miller says:

What a lovely poem, Can’t wait to share with my friends. Thanks.

57. Touched my heart in many, many ways. Sharing this with my friends would be an extra gift from the heart. Thank you all for what you do! Merry Christmas and God Bless

58. Thanks so much for your beautiful Christmas Prayer. I touched me in so many varied ways. I’m looking forward to giving it as a gift to my friends this Christmas. May God bless you and your ministry. Merry Christmas.

59. Loved the Christmas prayer… I am going to read it every day. After the last 3 days with the stomach virus in my house. I am appreciating the pause to Thank God for all of his GRACE. Merry Christmas.

60. Wanda Warmus says:

May I please have instructions on downloading your Christmas poem, “The Manger of My Heart”?
    Thank you, I am hoping to share it with my MITI prayer group tomorrow morning.
    Thanks and God bless you and the work He has established for your hands.
    Merry Christmas!

61. Thank you for the beautiful prayer. I would like to download a copy. And thank you for your daily words of encouragement. I look forward to reading your e-mails and I am so looking forward to your class in January. Have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year.

62. What a great reminder for all of us that we need to reorganize our busy schedule and let Jesus come to our heart. Thank you for the great poem! It will be a great poem to share with my friends and family.

63. Shawnda Embrey says:

Thank you for sharing! Too often I find myself speaking to God when things are going bad or I’m struggling. I have been trying to work on getting time with The Lord to deepen my bond with Him. This poem and devotional have both helped remind me to keep God first. Printing this poem will be a physical reminder to stay in prayer. Thank you from a newbie in Christ.

64. Myra Bankston says:

I would also like a copy of this poem. I thought I entered my e-mail to receive it, but nothing has yet happened. Or maybe I haven’t given it enough time. Thanks!

65. Crystal H. says:

Loved the poem! Thanks for sharing!

66. Maya Scott-wooten says:

Thank you for reminding me that I must remember that I am chosen. That God is there even in the darkest moments and he is the light that will shine. Thank you

67. slightly off topice but how long did it take you to make this blog, i have been wanting to make my won for awhile but i have never got around to it, do you think you could hit me up with en email with some advice or tips thanks.

68. Janine Crowe says:

Hi, I donated to Proverbs 31 Ministries for the first time today. Thank you for all you do. I did this P31 online Bible study at the same time I was leading a women’s Bible study on the book of Romans, at my church. Participating in the A Confident Heart Bible Study gave me the confidence to lead the class I am teaching. I don’t know what I would have done without the encouragement of ACH. I also started using ice breaker questions like you do at Twitter parties and Facebook parties. This led to such great sharing in my class. I also read Tracie Miles’ devotional, “The Centerpiece” out loud to my class before Thanksgiving. It really touched a chord with the ladies of my class. I also liked your when/then statements, your am/fm thoughts and your turning away from/turning toward statements. In my class I came up with a saved from/saved to brainstorming exercise. There was good participation and we came up with great lists. I also started having door prizes which is a hit with the ladies. Thanks for the door prizes I won yesterday at the Twitter party. Merry Christmas. Take care. Janine

• Janine Crowe says:

p. s. Thanks for the beautiful prayer. I will keep it for myself and share it with others. Thank you for sharing it with us.

69. Janet Daniel says:

I would to download a copy of your prayer. It is beautiful. This is a lovely prayer.
    I will frame it and put it out every Christmas time to remind me of the the most perfect Christmas Gift. I will share it with family and friends.
    Thank you Renee!

70. Camilia Doro says:

I read you A confident Heart book and it changed my life . I then introduced it to my women’s bible study group and we did an online book tal during the summer. It had a great impact on each one of us. We still bring it up often and quote parts of it frequently. I also joined the online bible study on this web sight. Thank u for what you and ur ministry is doing to change women s heart around the world. I am a Canadian and I wonder if ur tax receipts work here do you have a Canadian branch. Please let me know as I would like to support ur ministry by donating. May God continue to bless you as you bless us each and every day. I love ur. Christmas Prayer

71. Linda Fern says:

What a beautiful poem and prayer. This will now be something I will put up each Christmas season to remember to true meaning, what God has done for me. Thank you Renee.

Trackbacks