The Sweetest Sound I Know

Little girls giggles and high pitched squeals. These were the sounds our days were made of …

Oh how I wanted her voice to be the soundtrack of my life, but it wasn’t happening. Why isn’t she talking? Is this normal? I have two teenagers and can’t remember what is normal. Is it because she’s our third child? Why isn’t our bribery and insistance working??

“Oh don’t worry, she’ll talk.” “Einstein didn’t talk until he was 5.” “Just wait ’til she won’t stop talking! Then you’ll be thankful for these days.”

Their words were  meant to be encouraging. And sometimes they helped to stretch our patience as we waited for our little girl to say simple yet precious words like “Daddy” and “bye-bye”.

In October 2009, we adopted Aster from Ethiopia. In August 2011, as she was heading toward her 3-year-old birthday, Aster was diagnosed with a severe speech disorder called Apraxia.

In the midst my deep sorrow over my fathers’s death, the joy of my book release and the heart-shattering shock about my little girl, all I wanted to hear was the soothing sound of my daughter’s precious little voice.

But Aster could barely say five words, and those were very hard to understand. It was determined that she could understand almost everything, but Aster’s mental planning paths weren’t connecting between her brain and her mouth, and no one knew why.

We’ve scheduled countless assessments, a brain MRI, hearing tests and more. And now after 10 months of speech therapy two times each week, we are celebrating an amazing milestone. Look how far God has brought our sweet and beautiful girl!

Although Aster still has days where she hardly says a thing, when she is chatty, she can say at least 50 words now! And her whole alphabet. She is super excited about her newest accomplishment – she can count up to 10!

We are so proud of how hard our girl is working that smart mind of hers, creating paths in her brain  and building weak muscles in her mouth. And we’re over the top thankful for each little step of progress she makes. If you’d like to see just how far she’s come, the first time she EVER talked on camera was March 4, 2012. Here is that video:

“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him”– 1 Corinthians 2:9

Comments

1. Bravo! Praise God!

• God is so good to us! Aster is such a beautiful miracle! God has “BIG” plans for her life! She & you are a blessing to me! Keep the faith!

• O taste and see that the Lord is Good!. What a wonderful example of God’s Faithfulness and Grace, Renee. We serve an awesome God. I am so excited for you Aster and your family. Your online studies, stories and witness give me such hope in at a time when everything says I am a fool for believing the plans HE has for me.

Peace and Love and God’s Richest Blessings

2. Praise God! Your daughter is doing remarkable! She is going to surprise you, you just wait and see.

3. Michelle says:

This brought me the biggest smile and such joy in my heart!! Thank you so much for sharing!

4. Michelle S. says:

I’m so happy for Aster! What a cute video! God’s work is amazing. Thank you for sharing.

5. That was awesome! I have a smile from ear to ear! So very cool! 🙂

6. Wow, Renee, she is growing up so fast!! She’s just as beautiful as ever!!!

7. Connie Boroff says:

Thank you for reminding us that God cares about every detail of our lives! And He still
    works miracles! So proud of Aster! May God bless Aster and all of your
    family!

8. This is wonderful! My Aussie was so interested in Aster when he heard her voice! He was watched your videos 3 times! I know your heart is full of joy.

9. Praise God – she is just beautiful!

10. You were right, it did bring a smile to my face. I am amazed at how sweet Aster is and what great progress she is making with her s[speech. We do serve such a might God who loves us enough to help us succeed.

11. That was awsome..thank you for sharing…such a Beautiful child.made me smile….know that your daughter will grow up to be a mighty woman of god…..GOD has a plan…Bless you and your family.

12. God Bless you both! Aster, precious child! Thanks for sharing this video with us. God’s blessing are amazing!

13. Awesome! How great is our God! Thank you for shaing this video.

14. Amazing! God is working His purpose out. You are so blessed to have each other. I am praying for you!

15. Awesome. God is so good to his children. She is so cute

16. Andrea Chapman says:

She did fabulous! Good job, Aster!
    Beautiful girl! What a joy!

17. This was precious to see. I have to share something. My daughter has Down Syndrome. She understood what she heard, but getting it out was a whole different story. She loved to babble in front of the mirror. One day she was sitting and babbling and in the midst of this I heard clear as a bell, “Jesus loves me”, then right back to the babbling. At 19, Jesus Loves Me is her very favorite song and when she was recognized on Senior day at church, she asked if she could sing her solo, “Jesus Loves Me”. If you had asked me 19 or even 17 years ago if I would see my sweet girl singing a solo at church I would have probably told you there was no way. But I have learned that where there is no way, God does make a way. By the way, my sweet girl can also sing John 3:16 in the African language of Wolof. There is no way that could happen other than through God.
    So just wait, you will hear many things from your sweet girl. Just be patient (that word that we do not like very much).
    Thank you for sharing.
    Ronda

• Ana munoz says:

I love your story. Thanks for sharing. my daughter is downs and she is 15. She loves music and it is hard to understand her. She loves to pray in her own language and loves to dance. When she was 6 years old, I entered her in a regular beauty pageant. My friend taught her hula to a Christian song called ” show me your way”. Before going up on stage i prayed over her and said, Lord, used my daughter for your glory. When she went up on stage you could hear a pin drop, she danced her little heart out. As I was looking around at the crowd watching I saw many people crying. It was clear to me that the Lord had anointed that place. Not a dry tear was in the audience. When it was time to choose the winner of all those contestants, I didn’t expect anything. I thought, ok Lord you did your thing and I was blessed by it. But God had more! She had won first place in the beauty pageant. When they said her name, that’s when I started crying. I felt the Lord washing me with his awesome Love. These kids are such a blessing! And they teach us sooo much!

18. Darcie Schoenfeldt-White says:

My son Luca was born with Apraxia of speech, a phonological delay, and an articulation delay. This video warmed my heart so much!!! We endured many months of speech therapy as well. Luca is now 6 and you can barely tell he ever had a speech problem. Keep up the good fight – God will bring you through it! 🙂

19. Karen Pounds says:

What a beautiful sight and sound to see and hear!!! How proud you must be! Praise be to God. Thanks for sharing her with us.

20. Woohoo!!! Praise the Lord. Such a sweet sound!!

21. BIG Smile!!

22. Aster is so cute. it is awesome what God is doing in her life.
    Praise God!
    Anna

23. Esther Smith says:

Some of us take for granted the blessings we have been granted as just being something you are given at birth. When you have a special needs child, you take nothing for granted. I know because I grew up dyslexic in a time when people didn’t understand this disorder, and it was judged, ridiculed, and looked upon differently, in a negative way, as if I was a lost cause at times. I have overcome my dyslexia to a great degree, and we have even found out in my adult years that it was more dyscalculia (the same learning disorder, but in math more than reading, and it creates difficulties in other areas of life as well). So I never take for granted having learned to read, and my love for it now, or the fact that I now understand it wasn’t that I wasn’t trying hard enough, as some of the educators (they didn’t understand the disorder) I had though, but that my brain didn’t process things like others could.

What a blessing that Aster is getting the help she needs, that she will get help from educators who, through you, and her speech therapist, will understand what she needs, and that she just processes things differently. I am glad God is helping you and Aster with each of your needs as you work through her disorder.

Great work Aster, great work Renee and Swope Family, and praise you Lord Jesus for your work in all of them! 🙂

PS Aster is a very pretty name. How did you choose it? What does it mean? 🙂

24. How Precious.! Thanks for sharing. Her hard work has paid off.
    I will pray for her continued amazing progress and God’s hand in every step.

25. Wow!!!! Sooo precious!!! I am praising God with you!!!
    That made my day!!!

26. Shannon Steckel says:

That is so precious when I was younger I kept on getting ear infections eventually when I went to Montessori the teacher knew I was reading the mouths but not hearing. So I went to the hearing dr to (audiologist) to get tested..Wow what timing they said in 3 months I could’ve been deaf. So I went to speech therapy but once teased and riducle. The only thing that I really enjoyed was playing the piano and singing. I think it took me when i was in 8th grade to sign up for my first solo competition and I got rated 2 which is excellent. But because of that I was really shy and afraid to open up…Even sometimes today, I know I talk too fast especially when I’m nervous but I tell you. I have improved so much and some people don’t even notice it at all. That is such a miracle…Thanks for sharing.

27. Donna B says:

Absolutely love this!!! God is so great! She has grown and changed so much on that incredible day where I got to hold her and love on her and watch as she played. She could operate her ipad better than I could have!! So loved watching the video and watching God answer so many prayers since last fall! Tears of joy and thanksgiving!! Can’t wait to see her and you in a few weeks. Conference – a few dollars – Seeing Aster and Mom on stage – priceless!!! Getting pumped and excited and thankful that I let you and Melissa talk me into stepping outside of my little comfort zone! So worth it to see the both of you!

28. Christie says:

That is so exciting! One of my friend’s has a son who has apraxia. He is now going on 6 years old, and he has come so far! It is so wonderful to hear his voice, and to hear the fun things he has to say. I can imagine that you feel the same way with Aster. She is a beautiful child! 🙂

29. Kathy Sturgis says:

Praise God. what a privilege to give her life and joy. You are beautiful Aster.

30. I am so happy for you . This has been a long journey to this point and I pray for many more blessing ahead as you work with you “Sweet Girl”
    Shalom.

Rest for your Holiday with your family

31. Martha Parfait says:

Praise God from Whom ALL blessings flow:)

32. cindy shipley says:

she is doing very well thank you GOD !!!!!! PLEASE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story! It gives me encouragement! My 2 1/2 year- old son has language delay and has been seeing a Speech Therapist since February. Last Tuesday he was diagnosed with Autism. I understand your heart, as a mother to this precious little girl, and the roller coaster of emotions that these diagnosis can bring.
    I will be praying for you and Aster, that God will give you the strength for each day, and that you will feel the nearness of His presence.

34. Lynda H. says:

Thank you so much for sharing with us Aster’s progress! You and your family are so blessed!

35. Hello Renee,

I was just viewing your amazing video of your sweet little daughter. Wow, what a cutie she is, and she has done so well. I pray that God will continue to work with her, and you and your family. It is so amazing to be able to share in your Bible study and also in your lives. God bless you all.

36. Ifeoluwa says:

I thank God for your testimonies on your daughter and pray i would be able to give greater testimonies on my little nephew who has birth asphagia, he is yet to walk, talk use his hands at age 1 year and 11 months, pls help pray for him, his name is Oluwabusolami. I want to adopt a 3 year old baby girl here in Nigeria but the process is slow and frustrating so pray for me since i desire it so much as God is leading me to do it Thank you.
    Ife

37. Lynn Cole says:

What a blessing! Thank you for sharing.

38. Praise God! Aster has grown so much! Thank you for sharing and blessing so many with your story. Praying for all of you. ~ Mary

39. Thank you Rene for being so willing to share the special moments in your life along with your struggles.
    I’m so happy for you and your family and the progress Aster is making. I know the Lord is going to bless you and that precious little girl.
    I wanted to tell you also, how this study is truly changing my heart, I went to listen to you in Maryland this past spring and I have been so blessed by your teaching.

Have a happy fourth of July

Tami

40. Susan M. says:

Renee, thank you for sharing, Aster is so cute and he looks like she is full of life and fills your day with happiness. We are all precious in Gods eyes~~He looks at our hearts and you have opened yours up to Aster and give her a home~~~~enjoy your family time together on the 4th~~~Sue

41. What a blessing! Aster is making such good progress. Thankful for families like yours that are willing to adopt these precious children. It takes a special person & God choose you & your family to give Aster a home & the attention she needs to live a productive life. Praise God 🙂

42. Way to go, Aster! What a wonderful and miraculous blessing.

43. Great job Aster! I love seeing her smile!

44. Renee she is so precious! Praise God for her tremendous progress! My daughter is Autistic and when she was two I longed to hear her say “mommy”. I thought all my dreams of mommy/daughter outings as we know it were destroyed. My daughter started speech therapy and signing at an early age. She finally started talking at age 5. Years later we couldn’t keep her quiet!!! She is 20 now and we love our mommy/daughter time shopping, etc. To God Be The Glory!!! Keep doing what you are doing Rene. Before you know it she will be talking non-stop. Already thanking God for it in advance!!!

45. Christina Brannon says:

What an encouragement, my daughter has some type of language processing disorder but we unsure what yet. I am going to an informational meeting on dyslexia in 6 days, as this is a strong possibilty. I was feeling a little down about the road ahead if this is the case along with anger over insurance not covering the testing etc. Your e mail made me grateful instead, thank you! I am so happy for you and for Aster.

46. Aster is so precious. So awesome to see her progress. Thanks so much for sharing!

47. What a blessing! Praying for you as you walk this difficult path with the Lord.

48. That is so awesome! Thank you so much for sharing. God is Good!

49. Michelle says:

Thank you for sharing these precious moments with us. May GOD continue to bless Aster and your family 🙂

50. Wolw, what progress she has made since seeing the first video in the spring. Happy 4th. Look forward to ur last week of on-line BS and the conclusion of your heartfelt, teaching and mentoring book. I am so blessed that I fully particiapted this time around. I had been a blog reader only during the 1st time as I was finishing up BSF. Blessings on your wonderful family, j

51. Christine says:

That was so heart warming seeing your beautiful little girl Aster having fun forming words. So lovely too that you shared some of your everyday life together. God bless you all richly and increase all you do and say to bless others. Thankyou and look forward to more of the final chapters of your book next week.

52. Blessings, Renee God knows you are an excellent mom, friend and sister who is doing His will, thank you for sharing your book, your life, your time and you home with us. It’s been a pleasure doing this study with you (even thou I’m a bit behind) I pray that God may continue opening doors for you and your family always, this reminds me of Mark 7: 31-36 (please read) if we place our trust in Jesus to do His Fathers will all things is possible Amen God Bless

53. renee, you really are an awesome mom. your family is so perfect. God will make Aster perfect too.

blessings,
    anna

54. Heather Burton says:

I was so blessed by you sweet Aster! You are one beautiful and wonderfully made princess and Child of God. You are doing so awesome and to see what all you can do made me cry my eyes out! Keep up the great work and know that you are special and so many love you already! God bless and thank you for making my day so much brighter! Love and God bless you sweet girl 🙂

55. Kim Ward says:

So sweet. 🙂 God has a special plan for her life. 🙂 I hope to have an happy family as you do Renee. So precious!

56. Donna from Honolulu, Hawaii says:

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!! Aster your such a smart baby girl! Proud mommy! she is super precious! Thank you for sharing!

Aloha from Hawaii xoxoxox

57. Lakeeia says:

Renee,

Thank you for sharing your life and your family with us. Aster is such a beautiful little girl and I believe God has an extraordinary plan for her life. “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him”– 1 Cor. 2:9. This scripture really tugged at my heart as I read and watched you and Aster. I could see the love and the joy in both your eyes as she said her first words. What a precious gift! How Great is Our God! To Him Be the Glory!
    Lakeeia

58. Bonani( South Africa) says:

God bless you Renee

59. August Rose says:

WOW! I am amazed. Your little girl really loves you and she knows that she is loved! What security there is in love. I pray that I have shown my little girl love and grace. Grace is so needed with love. Thank you for allowing me into your family for a loving moment. You are a wonderful woman of God and mother. Thank you a million times over for never giving up! August Rose

60. Unfortunately my sound isn’t working this morning, but the joy and excitement on both of your faces speaks volumes!!
    God is good!!

61. Renee, I am so thankful that your daughter is doing so well. God has a huge plan for your daughter and you are so blessed to have her in your life..Renee, I am loving the study and your book has been so awesome..

62. Renee, you have a beautiful daughter. Thank you so much for sharing that story with us. It truly touched my heart. I praying that God will continue working through you to her. Aster is truly a blessing and you are a wonderful mom. May God continue to bless you and your family. I too love the study and your book.

63. Excellent, Renee! She’s gonna come thru, in Jesus name!

64. Prayed that Aster is able to share her heart with her mama. Nice name, Aster I like that. God is the best Healer and His creation of the human body is so miraculous. May you and Aster continue to see His grace and mercy and healing.

65. this blessed my heart so much. What a sweet, smart, wonderful girl with an amazing momma! Thank you for sharing.

66. Jalisa Ray says:

She is amazing I can see the love of God all over her! This video made my heart smile thank you so much for sharing your story and beautiful daughter with us! I love you both!

67. Kathy S says:

So precious! Thank you for sharing!

68. I see God working daily in our lives. What a blessing Aster is, and thank you for sharing, this brightened my evening and brought hope into my heart and for most to front of my mind. Miracles, healing and forgiveness are all of the Lord’s hand and of Him working our lives. Praise the Lord and may Aster be an inspiration to others who are having difficult times. God Bless w Love

69. Betty Hodge says:

Renee
    Oh my word, the video is the sweetest thing ever. I have cried and cried over it. I am so proud of her accomplishments. What a joy to watch this little girl grow, from the baby that you brought home to be your own!

70. Betty Harrison says:

Renee, I wish you would help me. Please explain just what “failing forward” means. Thank you.

71. I’ve seen your name a few time, read you on Roomag but this is my first stop to your online home 🙂 I didn’t realize you adopted from Ethiopia. I traveled there about 18 months ago and feel in love with the country and people. So neat that you adopted!

72. Have you considered American Sign Language? It is a vibrant, beautiful, expressive language that can enable your daughter to communicate fully despite her difficulty speaking. Some people are afraid that teaching their hearing children sign language will impede their speech development, but I have personally witnessed children who were better able to develop speech after the pressure to communicate effectively was alleviated through the use of ASL. Even if your family adopts only very basic signs, she will be able to communicate her needs and have the confidence boost of being “heard” and responded to despite difficulty speaking. Just a thought 🙂

73. Hi Renee, I was listening to the radio today and i heard your message from the proverbs 31 ministries about your daughter having apraxia. Can i just tell you that it BLESSED my heart to hear that. You see i have a son who is 6 years old and he has severe apraxia… he only has 3 words. He is an intelligent loving little boy that just does not have the ability to communicate verbally. It was so encouraging to me to hear that another mom has the same struggles as i do. Our children ae so precious, but it is good to know that i am understood! Thank you for sharing and opening up about your life!
    God bless!

74. I heard your story on KLove the other day and wanted to share encouragement. When one of our boys was 3 and first went to speech therapy, he could not even say his vowel sounds. The therapist, after several sessions, suggested that she should request an electronic communicator for him – she didn’t think he would ever speak regularly. We heard of several testimonnies about a product called Coromega and started him on it twice a day. After two weeks, the therapist noticed a marked difference (we had not told her that we were doing anything differently). When working with him on new words, it was like we were “programming” the word in his brain – we would work through the sound sequences several times until he could speak it fluently. Then, on to the next word. Many prayers and years (and worries – even though I knew I shouldn’t), God has worked amazing things in his life. He is now in 7th grade and has been out of speech therapy since the end of 4th grade. No one meeting him today would ever guess all of the struggles and fears we faced as we took the journey day by day. I thank the Lord often, for the blessing and encouragement He provided during the struggles and uncertainties. He continued to prompt me to write this to you (that persistent, still, small voice of His!). I hope this helps in some way…

75. Renee –

Thank you for sharing. I just heard you on Klove this morning and your story about your daughter. My son was diagnosed with Apraxia in Dec. 2010/confirmed it in Jan 2011. As I read your blog post, it was all my thoughts and emotions right there. Thank you for sharing. He is 4 now and talking beautifully. After 4 days a week/30 min/day of therapy, we have seen much improvement. My daughter is turning 2 next month and is presenting with the same symptoms my son had and our therapist that sees her (which is who diagnosed Jayden) is thinking we’re headed down the same road.

I thought since I had one child that was already diagnosed, that the second time around I’d be prepared and it’d be easier and IT IS NOT. I’m having the same emotions all over again. I saw your 1 Corinthians 2:9 and I know that verse but seeing it in your blog made it all the more different that I want my babies to know just as Jeremiah 29:11 states – He has plans for my beautiful babies and I will be there voice until they can find it themselves and shout from the rooftops.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for sharing.

It isn’t too often you hear the word apraxia come across on a radio station.

• Hi Ashley, thank you so much for taking time to leave a note. I have heard back from so many women after that radio show. I am amazed by how God is using our story to connect with others and pray that He will give me ways to encourage you – one of our listeners through my shows and blog posts in the future. Im praying about how this new season of life and ministry need to look. As you know, it’s very time consuming to walk with your child down this road but OH SO WORTH every minute of it!!

I am SO encouraged to hear your son is going so well.I can’t even tell you how good that is for my heart to hear!!! I may email you to connect about it more.

Praying for your daughter too. And for you as you walk through the emotions and exhaustion of it all – praying for peace, comfort, strength, courage and confidence in HIM each step of the way!!! You are equipped for all that HE has for you. He will give you all you need!!

Thanks and blessings!! ~Renee

76. I was literally stopped in my tracks today when I heard Proverbs 31 on the radio today. My daughter will be 4 next week and was diagnosed with Apraxia of Speech a few months back. Prior to her diagnosis, I had never heard of Apraxia. It has taken a while for it to settle in. At times I firmly believe in God’s plan for my child and at times I ache for my daughter to chat with me about her day, her interests, and imagination. I have heard parents many times telling their kids to quiet down because they are annoyed with all of their chattering and I sit there and wish that for my daughter could talk like they do for at least 5 minutes. She is my only child and it is very overwhelming to handle the therapies, the school, and the home. My husband works evenings and so it makes me feel more pressured and isolated. I am extremely joyous whenever my daughter learns to say a word or an approximation of a word without cues. I know God has a plan and a purpose but sometimes, I just need a little more tangible help and reassurance. I just pray that God continues to guide me and give me the wisdom to raise my beautiful daughter to be what God created her to be.

77. Just heard today on Klove, Renee speak about her daughter being diagnosed with Apraxia. My son was diagnosed with that when we was 3 1/2. With lots of prayers and speech therapy, he was able to overcome this and now at 29 he holds a doctorate degree in Education. His job is speaking to people all day long, and Praise God he is good at it!!!!!! Never doubt that thru man some things are impossible, but with God all things are possible.!

78. I heard on KLove the other day you talk about telling a friend about your daughter having apraxia. My daughter has it also and only through God’s strength and love and the wonder people that he has sent to us she is talking today. I am so thankful that she is talking as much as she is and has made so much progress. While we still have our daily struggles with her speech I have come to realize that we will make it through it. Your family is in my prayers and I wish you all the best. Thank you for talking about this I didn’t know anybody with this at the time when I was told my daughter has apraxia. All I could think was oh God what do I do, will she be ok, what is going to happen with us and how will we help her through this, did I do something to cause this, and was always asking myselp what if I did this or did that would it change the fact that she has this. We got in contack with a program called STRIDE and they have been wonderful with her and with me. Teaching me how to think about what we do when we talk and how our mouths move and where the sound comes from. God has put a wonderful group of people in our lives.

79. Renee I heard your story on KLOVE. I had to share a little of our story with you. I heard all of the same things, “she’ll talk when she’s ready” “once she starts talking you’ll wish she hadn’t.” My daughter Layla was diagnosed with Apraxia of speech when she was 2 1/2. I was devastated. I simply didn’t know where to start or what that would mean for my beautiful little girl. After two years of speech therapy twice a week, we are getting 5 -6 word sentences!! Our therapist has even suggested that we cut down to one day/week. I never tire of hearing the beautiful sound of her voice. We worked so hard to get here and still have a way to go but I thank God for the progress she’s made and that I’ve been here to help her along the way.

80. Renee I have followed you through Proverbs 31 blog for a over a year but somehow missed this one until a friend sent me the link. My 6 year old son has apraxia (diagnosed at 2 1/2). He has made great progress. He is in kindergarten and I’m completely overwhelmed by God’s provision for his voice. Although he still struggles verbally, he is reading above grade level and interacting with his peers very well. This past year, my son prayed aloud for God to help him with his words. Amazingly, his words and sentences have dramatically increased since that night. I believe God wanted him to express his need for God so that he will always recognize and proclaim God as his Healer. I will be praying for your sweet Aster to remain confident and God’s healing power to be apparent daily. Thank you so much for sharing!

81. I’m not sure exactly why but this site is loading very slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on
    my end? I’ll check back later on and see if the problem
    still exists.