My kids are so excited we only have three days until Christmas, especially Andrew. Last night he asked me to snuggle with him in his bed because he needed to talk to me about something. It was really late (past midnight because we had friends over for dinner and games) but I couldn’t resist. What 10-year-old boy wants to talk to his mother about something?
I climbed up the ladder to his bunk bed, sunk into his pillow and waited while he brushed his teeth. Soon after, he crawled in beside me and I gently scratched his back. Normally he doesn’t want to talk but simply wants me to lull him to sleep. However, last night he jumped right into our very important discussion about something.
“Mom, what all are we doing to do Christmas morning before we open our gifts?”
I should’ve known. I’m so gullible. Here I thought he had some deep thoughts about life to discuss with me. He is my philosophical child, but he’s also “Mr.What to Expect.” He wants to know the plan so he can rehearse it in his mind, anticipating each step that leads to the grand finale of any day. Here’s what I told him:
Christmas Morning List
1. Wake up early with daddy. Lay on the couch looking at Christmas lights while mommy sleeps late (this is their favorite tradition and mine, too!)
2. Gather in the dining room for Christmas Breakfast with Jesus as our guest (We set a place for Him at the head of our table with a “You Are Special” plate.
3. Open up our gift-wrapped baby Jesus’ figures and place them in the mangers
4. Light the center Advent candle and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus
5. Light the little candles that are clipped to each of our plates and tell Jesus what we want to give Him from our hearts this year
6. Eat Christmas Breakfast and…
7. Open the gifts under our tree!
He liked the plan and within minutes he fell asleep.
Today, my mom came by for lunch. While were were eating, Andrew announced that we have 6 things we’re going to do before opening gifts Christmas morning. I smiled and listened as he continued, “And it’s going to be a great day because everyone is going to be here – even Jesus!”
Now that’s Christmas: counting down the days, anticipating each event, and checking off the special Guests on our list.
I think I’ll take Andrew’s approach and make a list for today so I can anticipate tonight’s grand finale – making slice & bake Christmas cookies and watching the Nativity with my guys!
Write our Christmas letter (and post on our HeBrews Faith Family Blog )
2. Print Christmas letter and address envelopes
Buy Blockbuster gift cards for Movie Night baskets for neighbors/friends
Rent Nativity movie (wasn’t available but I tried)
4b. Reserve Nativity movie for Christmas Eve
5. Stop by grocery store
Help JJ with year-end finances if he needs me 7. Take a shower (yes, it’s almost 4pm and I haven’t done that yet)
8. Love the one’s I’m with (can’t ever scratch that one off)
So, what special plans do you have for Christmas? I know you probably have plenty to do today, but maybe sharing your plans will get you as excited as Andrew! Also, if you leave a comment, you’ll be part of this weekend’s Christmas Give-Away:
- A Starbucks gift card &
- Living and Leaving a Legacy 2-part DVD
To join in the fun, click on the word “comments” and leave a little note. Be sure to include your name and email so I can contact you if you win. Merry Christmas!